How to convert a foreign driving licence?

By eCitizen Portal
23 Aug 2017

If you hold a driving licence that was issued outside of Singapore, you should check whether you need to convert your foreign driving licence to a Singapore driving licence before you begin driving in Singapore.

If you are a Singapore citizen or PR

If you are a Singapore citizen or permanent resident (PR), you can drive in Singapore only after you obtain a Singapore driving licence. You must convert your foreign driving licence to Singapore driving licence as soon as possible if you want to drive in Singapore. 

New Singapore citizens and PRs must convert their foreign driving licences within 3 months of obtaining citizenship or PR status.

If you are a foreigner

If you are staying in Singapore for a short period – for example, you are holding a short-term social visit pass – you do not need to convert to a Singapore licence to drive in Singapore. 

You must possess a valid foreign licence and an International Driving Permit (IDP) issued by an authorised body in your own country, example the Automobile Association (AA). If an IDP is not available, an official translation of your foreign licence in English is required. 

Drivers from ASEAN member countries only need to possess a valid driving licence issued by their licensing authority in order to drive in Singapore without an IDP.

To continue driving in Singapore after 12 months of staying here (from the date of your last entry into Singapore), you must obtain a valid Singapore driving licence.

Prerequisites for converting your non-Singapore licence

If you are holding a motorcycle licence
You can convert a non-Singapore motorcycle licence into a Class 2B licence (for motorcycles that are 200 cc or less) once you pass the Traffic Police's Basic Theory Test (BTT).

If you wish to ride a larger motorcycle of Class 2A (engine capacity of 201 cc to 400 cc) and Class 2 (engine capacity of 401 cc and above), you need the following:

  1. Documentary proof of training and testing with a larger motorcycle;
  2. Documentary proof of ownership of a larger motorcycle; and
  3. At least 1 year's of overseas riding experience on the road.

If you are holding a motorcar licence
You can convert your non-Singapore motorcar licence once you pass the BTT test. Both manual transmission and automatic transmission-type motorcar licences can be converted.

Licences for heavy vehicles cannot be converted. You must enrol in a driving school and pass driving tests before you can operate heavy vehicles in Singapore.

How to apply for conversion

Step 1: Pass the basic theory test
To convert your foreign licence to a Singapore driving licence, you must pass the BTT test. Overseas theory test results are not admissible for consideration. 

To book a BTT test, create an account with any of the three driving centres and book in person or online:

Bukit Batok Driving Centre
815 Bukit Batok West Ave 5, Singapore 659085 
T: 1800 666 8888

ComfortDelGro Driving Centre
205 Ubi Ave 4, Singapore 408805 
T: 6841 8900, 6848 0617 

Singapore Safety Driving Centre
2 Woodlands Industrial Park E4, Singapore 757387
T: 6482 6060

Step 2: Apply for conversion
You must apply for conversion at the Traffic Police Test Centre counter located in the driving centres (stated above) in person. Please bring these items, where applicable:

  1. Original and a photocopy of your passport and NRIC/entry permit/employment pass/dependent pass/social visit pass/work permit;
  2. Original and a photocopy of a valid foreign driving licence;
  3. One recent matte passport-sized colour photograph of you with a white background, eyes looking straight, and both ears and eyebrows visible in the photograph. There should be no headgear worn unless normally worn for religious purposes, and glasses worn should not be tinted;
  4. Processing fee of $50 (payment by CashCard and NETS only)
  5. If your foreign driving licence is not in English, you must have International driving permit or An official translation of your driving licence in English obtained from the relevant Embassy, High Commission, or any Singapore registered translation companies. Translation is not required for licences issued by Brunei, Indonesia and Malaysia.
  6. If your foreign driving licence does not have the 1st date of issue, you are required to obtain an extract of driving licence record from the Licensing Authority;
  7. Foreign driving licence must be obtained prior to the issuance of your Work Pass/Dependant Pass/Student Pass etc.

You must show documentary that you have studied or worked in a foreign country for 1 year or more, e.g. education transcripts or tax returns documents. You must also have stayed in that foreign country for a total period of at least 6 months within a period of 12 months . 

If you hold a foreign driving licence that expired with your foreign visa, you must obtain a written extract from the foreign licence-issuing authority. The extract should show the following:

  1. Your driving test passing date;
  2. Date of issue of your foreign driving licence;
  3. Class of licence attained; and
  4. Your driving record.

You must register for the BTT test within 3 months of returning to Singapore.

You must present an extract from Jabatan Pengangkutan Jalan Malaysia (JPJ), which shows your driving record and licence information. The extract cannot be more than 6 months old. 

For details, please refer to the Traffic Police website.